Are you planning to buy best fillet knife for saltwater fish and you are looking for an in-depth review to guide you before you make a purchase? If that is what you are looking for, look no further, you at the right place for what are searching for. Just pay full attention and read this article to the end. For the sake of those who came across fillet knife for the first time, but don’t know what it entails or it uses. Here is little definition for it. A fillet knife is a special type of knife used for stripping the flesh of a fish from it bone. It is also good for removing pieces of meat from boneless beef.
An avid fish hunter knows that saltwater fish is one the sought after in any lake. Maybe, this is due to high presence of protein and less of fats. No doubt, it is healthy to consume saltwater fish, but what could be so difficult about stripping the fish flesh? Some may ask. Well, one of the major up-hills is not having the best fillet knife around. Choosing a fillet knife for the saltwater fish like walleye, crappies, catfish etc. can be a difficult task, especially when you have a lot to choose from in the market. The sheer number of types, model, and different varieties of fillet knife can becloud someone’s sense whenever you want to take a buying decision.
|14 by 5 by 1 inches||4.41 lb||Check It Here|
|5 by 5 by 5 inches||4 lb|| |
Check It Here
|5 by 5 by 5 inches||3.84 lb||Check It Here|
|12.68 by 0.79 by 0.6 inches||5.9 oz|| |
Check It Here
|1.4 by 4.8 by 1.4 inches||4.3 oz||Check It Here|
As a regular shopper, it is certain that you would have found yourself in a situation whereby you have to research tirelessly before you purchase a product. To avoid this, we have come up with list of top rated fillet knives suitable for salt water fish after doing countless hours of extensive research, so you can have the chance to choose from the very best in the market. Well, without wasting much time further, let’s explore ten lists of filleting knife out of many in the market. We are going to highlight the major feature of each of the knives as well as their pros and cons together with the customer reviews, as these will help you to have the feeling of what the market says about each of the knives.
- Morakniv Fishing Comfort Fillet Knife
Morakniv Fishing Comfort Fillet Knife is one of the sought after fish fillet knife which is suitable for saltwater fish. This is a versatile filleting knife which comes in two forms, either in a size of 6 inch length for cleaning or filleting of fish, or on a size of 3.5 inches which is good for removing the bones of the small fish. It is easy to maintain a firm grip with this knife because of its high friction handle. This knife does not need an extra sheath as it comes with plastic and rugged one, and it does not absorb any form of odor. It’s interchangeable belt clip allows the user to have the flexibility of fitting the knife on the belt in suitable way. The blade on Morakniv knife has a thickness of 0.07 inche and a length of 6.1 inches. It has a high corrosion resistance, very tough and efficiently sharp. It has a dimension of 14 by 5 by 1 inch and weighs about 4.41 pounds.
- It is razor sharp out of the box, no need to sharpen it before use.
- It is capable of running through big fish like Maci and Kingfish.
- The handle stayed grippe even with the wet hands.
- It held edge longer than most of the fillet knives.
- No need for an extra sheath, it comes with plastic one and belt attachment.
- It has a suitable length for fish filleting.
- It is very light in weight and very compactable.
- The sheath does not last enough long.
- The blade could easily be broken if care is not taking.
- It is liable to rusting.
Over 274 customers bought Morakniv Fishing Comfort Fillet Knife and left some reviews on Amazon.com. About two hundred and twelve of the entire customers gave 5-stars rating for the knife. Seventeen people gave 4-stars rating to the fillet knife. At present, about seven people gave this knife 3-stars rating. Another seven people gave it 2-stars rating. And the rest awarded a 1-star rating to the product. These reviews contribute to the overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 on Amazon.com scale.
- Rapala NK03039-BRK Fish N Fillet
Rapala NK03039-BRK Fish N Fillet is one of the top rated fish fillet knives out there. In fact, It is one the Amazon.com’s choice for fish filleting and other related stuffs. It comes with 7 inches stainless flexible fillet blade. It has a well varnished birch handle which is designed to make fish filleting process easy one and also to avoid the lost of fish meat in the process. The blades on this fillet knife come in three different sizes 4 inches, 6 inches and 7 inches. The product parking include Laplander leather belt sheath for safety and mobility of the knife of hunting or camping. In addition to that, a single stage pocket sharpener with red casing comes with Rapala NK03039-BRK Fish N Fillet too. It has a dimension of 5 by 5 by 5 inches and weighs about 4 ounces.
- It is very versatile, apart from filleting of fish, it can be used for butchering, cutting, slicing of big game animals.
- It comes with extra sharpening tool which can also be used for other kitchen knives.
- The blade on the knife is very solid, strong and sharp.
- It has a high degree of edge which makes the filleting easy task.
- It comes with cool sheath to preserve the knife for a long time.
- It is very light in weight and god for backpacking.
- It sharpens easily and stays sharp for a long time.
- It is not very flexible.
- It can be a little dangerous for a beginner.
- The handle might be too small for a large hand.
Rapala NK03039-BRK Fish N Fillet has over two hundred and thirty six reviews on Amazon.com. About one hundred and ninety six customers are fascinated with the performance of the fillet knife and gave it 5-stars rating. Close to thirty people gave it rating of 4-stars. About seven people gave it rating of 3-stars, while 2-stars rating were given by just three people. Meanwhile, 3 customers are less satisfied with the knife’s performance. All these contribute to the overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 on Amazon.com.
- Kershaw Clean water 9 inches fillet Knife (1259X)
Are you an avid fisherman who always get luck catching big fish on most of your hunting? But, the problem you encounter is how to fillet such big fish perfectly with fillet knife of 6 inches or less. Well, if you found yourself in situation sometimes, no cause for alarm and nothing to fret about anymore, Kershaw Clean water 9 inches fillet Knife (1259X) is the perfect knife for any big saltwater fish. The blade on the knife is made of quality Japanese stainless steel which is on high degree of flex to make the filleting of big fish an easy task. The blade is capable of bending on large degree without braking for easy maneuvering on fish. The handle on the knife is made of quality texture for tough and firm grip. The blade is of 9 inches in length which makes big fish an easy job. Kershaw Clean water 9 inches fillet Knife (1259X) has a stylish sheath for proper storage and belt for easy outing. It has a dimension of 5 by 5 by 5 inches and weighs about 3.84 pounds.
- The 9 inches on the blade is perfect for a large fish.
- The handle is ergonomic and has sticky grip.
- It regains exact edge after heavy usage.
- It is very strong, flexible, floats and easy to sharpen.
- It can be use for skinning and cleaning deer, pigs, goats etc.
- The sheath has a drain which makes cleaning of the knife easy.
- It does not require constant sharpening
- It is too big for small pan fish
- It can be a bit cumbersome for beginners.
Over two hundred and seventy one customers have tried out Kershaw Clean water 9 inches fillet Knife (1259X) out on Amazon.com and left different reviews there. About one hundred and seventy customers gave this knife rating of 5-stars. A count of fifty four left rating of 4-stars for the product. Likewise, about twenty two people left 3-stars rating for the knife, while fourteen people gave it rating of 2-stars. Eleven people are less satisfied with performance of the product and the awarded 1-star rating for it.
- Dalstrong Fillet Knife 7 inches Flexible Gladiator Series
Dalstrong Fillet Knife 7 inches Flexible Gladiator Series, is one of the versatile and best fillet knives for saltwater fish available in the market. The versatility of Dalstrong Fillet Knife 7 inches Flexible Gladiator Series, covers not only filleting but also de-boning, de-scaling, skinning, trimming and butter flying. It also works more efficiently and easily on poultry. The blade on Dalstrong Fillet Knife 7 inches Flexible Gladiator Series, is highly flexible and be maneuver through the filleting process. It comes with a perfect fit sheath for easy storing and an attractive travel case with belt loop which makes it easy to carry along traveling or on adventure. The handle on this is knife is comfort to touch and firm grip. The knife features chromium for stain resistance, triple riveted for more durability. It has a dimension of 12.68 by 0.79 by 0.6 inches.
- It has two sheathes, one for storage and the other one for adventure.
- It is capable of filleting saltwater fish of 170 lb.
- It is sharp, strong and feels very good at hand.
- It stays razor sharp over a week after use.
- It is easy to sharpen up when it is dull.
- It is perfect for skinning and deboning.
- It is not very sharp straight out of the box.
- It is a bit heavy at handle.
Over one hundred and twenty seven customers have tried out Dalstrong Fillet Knife 7 inches Flexible Gladiator Series on Amazon.com and left some reviews. About one hundred and eleven people representing 87% of entire customers like this fillet knife and left rating of 5-stars. Four people gave it rating of 4-stars. About six people gave it 3-stars rating. While six and three customers gave it rating of 2-stars and 1-stars respectively. All these reviews contribute to overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon.com rating scale.
- Gerber gator Fillet Knife 7.5 inches
Gerber gator Fillet Knife 7.5 inches, is one of the top rated fillet knives that make up our list on here. It was manufactured by a company called Gerber. Gerber is known for her decade of innovation and as a renowned master of different kinds of knives and tools. Gerber gator Fillet Knife 7.5 inches, comes with a full tang stainless steel which makes fillet with this knife as easy as butter. The handle on the knife feels good to touch irrespective of the hand condition be it wet or dry. The Gerber Gator Fillet knife also has a hand-molded sheath for storage and safety after use. Also, it comes with built-in ceramic sharpener so as to make using of the knife easy at any point in time. The blade has length of 7.17 inches contributing to the overall 12.2 inches length of the knife. It has a dimension of 1.4 by 4.8 by 1.4 inches and weighs about 4.3 ounces.
- The blade has perfect amount of flex on it.
- The sheath has built-in sharpener for quick touch on the blade.
- The handle is non-slip on wet hand.
- It goes through raw meat, chicken, potatoes like breeze.
- It is sharp to use, flexible and easy to clean.
- It is great for de-boning the poultry birds like turkey.
- It takes an edge without effort and holds it firmly.
- It not highly sharpens out of the box.
- The sheath seems over size for the knife
- The built-in sharpener does not sharp the blade well enough for filleting.
Over one hundred and sixty four people bought Gerber gator Fillet Knife 7.5 inches on Amazon.com and left review on the product. About one hundred and one customers gave it rating of 5-stars. Twenty three people gave 4-stars rating and twelve people gave it rating of 3-stars. Seven customers left 2-stars rating. While, twelve people were less satisfied with the functions of the knife. All these contribute to overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 on Amazon.com rating scale.
- Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning And Fillet 6 inches
Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning And Fillet 6 inches is another top rated fish fillet knife on our list. It is a bi-functional knife which is good for both boning and filleting. Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning And Fillet 6 inches is one of the top quality Japanese Filleting knife with a strong blade on elegant contour shape. The contour shape on the blade gives the user the chance to easily cut off flesh of the skin from bone as well as that of beef. Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning And Fillet 6 inches is one of the numerous products from the stable of KAI in Japan. The blade on the knife features VG_10 stainless steel. The blade also comes with Damacus detailing which gives the knife stunning and sleek appearance. The Damacus styling also prevent sticking of the morsels and offers easy cut through during the filleting process. Its handle is made of Pakkawood which consists of veneers hardwood and resin for artistic look and handling. The knife has a dimension of 11 by 0.9 by 1.8 inches and weighs about 7.8 ounces.
- It is easy to cleaning especially by hand washing.
- The metal holds the edge very well and a bit longer.
- It easily re-sharpens on a whetstone.
- It cuts through fish and meat like butter.
- It is sharpen straight out of the box and light in weight
- It is very versatile and works on vegetable.
- It does not come with sheath.
- It is not very flexible.
- It might be difficult to use for beginners.
There are over on hundred and three customers who have tried out Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning And Fillet 6 inches out on Amazon.com and they left some reviews. About eighty-seven people left 5-stars rating for the knife. Ten people gave it 4-stars rating. Three released 3-stars rating for the product. Three people also gave it 2-stars, while another three people are less satisfied with the performance of the knife. All these contribute to the overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon rating scale.
- Bubba Blade 7 inches Tapered Flex Fillet Fishing Knife
Bubba Blade 7 inches Tapered Flex Fillet Fishing Knife is one of the best fillet knives suitable for filleting smaller pan fish and cutting of meat with much stress. Bubba blade fillet knife features non-stick coasted 7 inch blade and non slip grip handle for easier filleting of fish, and these make up the total length of 13 inches. Bubba fillet fishing knife design offers the ultimate knife control with trigger grip adding security. This is also includes user protection from the blade and the spine of the fish. The blade on the knife is very thin which allows easy moving in order to rip off the flesh with minimal loss and hitch-free. It also features Ti-Nitride coats, which makes the knife resistance to rusting and suitable for saltwater fish. The blade has extra sharp edge and this helps to make the starting of filleting very fast. The manufacturer of this filleting knife puts outdoor use of the knife into consideration when designing it, as the knife comes with sheath and a belt loop for close. It has a dimension of 16.4 by 5.4 by 0.1 inches and weighs 3.04 ounces
- It goes through the flesh of big fish with tough skin with less effort.
- The hand grip is awesome, it easy to keep ad edge on it.
- It is very sharp and much flexible as well
- It is pretty much easier to hold and comfortable at hand.
- It works well on a Chinook, Salmon and elk meat.
- It stays sharp and does not need regular sharpening.
- it looks fashionable when fasten in on for outing.
- The handle seems too large for small hands
- It’s a bit expensive
- The coating on the blade easily flake off
Over a hundred customers bought Bubba Blade 7 inches Tapered Flex Fillet Fishing Knife and left some review on Amazon.com. About seventy-seven of them love this knife and a rating of 5-stars for it. About ten people gave it rating of 4-stars. About four customers left rating of 3-stars for the knife. Three and six people left rating of 2-stars and 1-star respectively. All these leads to 4.5 rating of 5 on Amazon.com overall rating scale.
8 Elk Ridge ER-028 Fillet Knife 12.25 inches
Elk Ridge ER-028 Fillet Knife 12.25 inches is another top rated fish filleting that found it way into the list here due to its overall rating in the market. This knife has overall size of 12 1/8 inches in which 440 code stainless blade on it make up to 6.78 inches of the entire length. The handle on the knife is moderate in size and it’s made with laminated wood with lanyard hole. Black nylon sheath is includes in the product packing box for easy carriage for outdoor. It is suitable for mild marine environment, it works well on saltwater fish but you need to rinse with clean water after filleting. Inches It should be noted that Elk Ridge ER-028 Fillet Knife 12.25 inches was made in China but it tends to be useful for a long time. It has a dimension of 1 by 6 by 9 and weighs about 9.6 ounces.
- It is very sharp and holds the held very well
- It works smoothly on Elk
- The sheath is quality with heavy nylon for safety.
- It is suitable for trimming brisket for smoking
- It is easy to re-sharpen and does not take time to do so.
- It is perfect for cutting steak and any prop works
- It is easy to clean up after use.
- It is stiff, not very flexible, in filleting fish
- It sometimes hard to grip the knife as the pin sticks out.
- The knife lost its edge fast.
There are over ninety people who have tried Elk Ridge ER-028 Fillet Knife 12.25 inches out on Amazon.com. About sixty five people representing about 66%, love this knife and left rating of 5-stars. Eighteen people gave it rating of 4-stars and two people left rating of 3-stars. While, 2-stars and 1-star rating was given by two and four customers respectively. All the reviews contribute to overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon rating.
9 CRKT Clark Fork Folding Fillet Knife With Sheath
CRKT Clark Fork Folding Fillet Knife With Sheath is the tenth top rated filleting knife that make up our list. This knife features a blade with a length of 6 inches and the handle is measured at 5 inches which gives the knife overall length of 11 inches, but measured up to 7.5 inches when it is fold. CRKT Clark Fork Folding Fillet Knife With Sheath is one the fillet knife made in China that is of good quality. It features innovative “tail lock” safety bar which helps to the risk of cutting oneself during the filleting process. It is suitable for the de-boning of big games animals like Canada Moose, Elk, Bear, Wolf, Deer etc. the blade on the knife is very thin and flexible which makes it perfect for filleting of saltwater fish. It comes with nylon sheath in the packing. The knife was designed by Ken stigerwalt with atheistic outlook. It has dimension of 11.1 by 0.8 by 0.5 inches and weighs 4 ounces
- It is suitable for deboning big game animals
- The blade holds its edge for a long time
- It is light in weight and very sharp
- It stays sharp for long time
- The folding design is attractive and fit into small traveling kits
- It does not take much space when folded
- It very flexible and makes fish filleting process easy
- It takes much effort to fillet big fish with this knife
- The sheath seems a bit flimsy
- It is not suitable for scaling of the fish
CRKT Clark Fork Folding Fillet Knife With Sheath seems to be new kind among the fillet knife available on Amazon.com and it has been tried out by thirty eight people so far. About twenty six of them left 5-stars rating for this knife. Nine people left 4-stars rating for the knife. One person gave it rating of 3-stars so far. Nobody left 2-stars rating for the product but another one person left 1-star rating due to the knifes performance. All these reviews contribute to the overall rating of 4.4 out of the scale of 5 on Amazon.com
10 Buck 0220 BLS Knives Silver Creek Folding Fillet Fishing Knife
Buck 0220 BLS Knives Silver Creek Folding Fillet Fishing Knife is one the top rated fish filleting knives available in the market. It is also one of the sought after filleting knives on Amazon.com. More so, it is one of the best fillet knives for saltwater fish, due to the fact that it is highly resistance to saltwater corrosion. One of the short coming of this knife is that, as its fascinating its design is, it does not come with a sheath and an holding case, but only in a box with a nice looking nylon loop attached to it. The knife has 420 J2 stainless titanium coated flexible blade which makes to have high resistance to rusting. It is pretty much easier to sharpen the blade because of its flexible nature. The grip on the Buck 0220 BLS Knives Silver Creek Folding Fillet Fishing Knife has a rubber on it and a groove paired with steel safety guide which ensure high protection during the fish filleting. It is easy to carry the knife around as it can be folded into half. Buck 0220 BLS Fillet Fishing Knife has a dimension of 0.4 by 0.4 by 0.4 inches and weighs about 3.2 ounces
- It stays pretty sharp for long-term without re-sharpen
- It is razor sharp straight right out of the box
- It has decent edge re-tendering ability and can be re-sharpens easily.
- It is suitable for saltwater fish as it is highly resistance to corrosion
- It maintains anti-grip nature under fish oil paw
- It looks sturdy, safe and comfortable to use.
- It is light in weight and easy to carry around
- The lock mechanism on the knife does not last long.
- The metal in the lock mechanism tends to rust.
- It does not come with a sheath or a holding case.
There are over two hundred and forty people who have tried out Buck 0220 BLS Knives Silver Creek Folding Fillet Fishing Knife on Amazon.com. About one hundred and eighty-five customers like the knife and gave it rating of 5-stars. About thirty customers left 4-stars rating for the knife. Fifteen people gave the knife rating of 3-stars. 2-stars rating and 1-star rating were given by thirteen and seven people respectively. All these contribute to the overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 on Amazon.com rating scale.
It can be a tall order and a difficult task to choose the right kind of fish fillet knife out the numerous types and brands available in the market. But, now that you have gone through the list of our best fillet knives for saltwater fish, the task of choosing the right one has been minimized by reducing the number of the best one to the list above. With the list on here, by now, you should have had the basic understanding of the important features and criteria to look out for before you go ahead to make a purchase.
It should be noted that this article highlights the knives that would make the filleting of the saltwater fish hitch free than chores, not the over hype ones. However, the final knife to choose largely depends on your choice and preference. As you can see from the above list, there are different types of filleting knives available depending on the kind of fisherman you are. If you are fond of doing constant outing, folding fillet knives type might suit your needs. More so, if you have different brands with the same features and functions you want, it would be better to go for the one that is more quality. Lastly, don’t settle for any kind of filleting knife other than the one that best suit your preference. I hope you found this guide helpful. I wish you awesome filleting experiences. Thanks for reading so far.